Monday, September 19, 2005

chose a difficult film

Mystic River was the wrong choice. My light hearted day with lot of hope and optimsim got pretty mesed up with paedoplilia and murders. No doubt, it is a good film. For once a Hollywood film does not give s straight equation of crime and punishment. The intricate layers of history that constitute a crime is quite brilliantly portrayed. I have no complaints on it. Actually I shouldnt have complaints.

Its all about paedophilia. Scares the shit out of me. I dont like to watch any of these violent themes. Unsettles me terribly. I like violence to be packaged like Kill Bill. Quentin Tarantino and Uma Thurman make me feel good. I want feel good films. Needless to mention that feel good has to be quality stuff. Is that the reason why I watch seedy romances? Maybe. But the truth is that I am also bored with those romances. How long can one watch such spineless films.

We are anyway leading lives full of sexual assault and fear of assault. It is a childish feeling that I dont want to watch it on screen too. I want the screen to be filled with big heros and heroines doing their job against evil. Hmm. Sounds irrational. I anyway didnt promise to be rational all the time.

An aside. I am really impressed by Clint Eastwood's directorial capacities. When I watched him in those cowboy films I thought he was macho. Never expected him to have such finesse. I am really surprised. It is also inspiring to see such a person who has grown old but doesnt give up and is bent on exploring his mind further. Thats the best part I guess. To be creative and passioante in ur life till the very end.

I hate people is good form retiring without making an effort to explore their lives. Unless illness cripples my body I wil continue to be a public person, nay a public intellectual. I am wasted if I dont work.

No comments: