Thursday, September 15, 2005

morning ragas

Yesterday's low has pased. The morning is beautiful. I have this steaming cup of coffee on my table, Hindustani classical music playing in the background and I can manage atleast an hour of writing before I rush into the survial game of bathing eating and going out for work. My ideal time to wake up is a little before 6am. Its being competitive with the sun rise. But he always beats me at it. The dawn with its colour of the sky, the silence and the moist dew makes it the best part of the day. I am a morning person. The few days when I dont wake up early makes me very disorienting.

An hourof reading or writing in the morning gives me a sense of purpose to my life. Before setting out to towork, i believe in working atleast a couple of hours to set the pace for the entire day. I may seem a moralist. My intution is that productive work requires an immense amount of discipline. It may be writing fiction or non-fiction, filming or photograpghy. The passion does not emerge unless one has invested long hours and thought in it. Quality stuff is not a freak entity or a matter of luck. I am slowly realising the hard work that is present behind the scenes.

Coming back to my blog. I rememebr telling my readers that this blog began with the purpose of recording the minute things that make up our lives. It was and continues to be voyeuristic in its objective. A person who may be following this blog should be able to get an intimate sense of the perosn writing it. I very quickly realised the difficulty of sticking to my everydayness. It has already become boring to talk about my lows, showers, toilets and masturbations. To indulge in the self needs a different energy. Or writing skills that bring out a certain quality to the mundane. Or maybe a different concept to frame the mundane. Otherwise it simply stays as the mundane. I cannot boast of such writing skills or a framework. Instead I am planning to write about the ideas that animate me. It may be a film, a friendship, a newspaper article and so on. The mundane will find its space in these locations.

My next post will be a review of the film Jagged Edge that I watched on television last night.

1 comment:

Fish said...

Being awake early morning, around four in the morning, gives way only for contemplation and serenity in me.

I disagree although that discipline and investing long hours can alone produce productive work or passion for spontaniety offers productivity and passion too.