Friday, September 16, 2005

saturday

Its a beautiful bright sunny day. It may seem that I am speaking like one of those cold climate peope. But we have had such a heavy monsson this time. It has been raining for the past three months almost conitnuously. I am a person used to droughts, water shortages and moody monsoons. Therefore many of us were quite puzzled by so much rain. But I am sure the tanks in and around our city is full. The barren countryside is so green. Farmers are happy. The rains have been so heavy that we were almost flooded. Bombay is an example. There is immense controvery about the reasons for these floods. The fingers point at indiscrminate building and encroachments on the streams and drains of the city as there is no outlet for the copious rainwater to drain away. Thats a huge subject with heavy stakes involved. An important issue but not for a bright Saturday morning. Let me leave it at that.

I have a party this evening. Its a salad party. I have decided on three salads: a). chickpea. b) vergetables c)devileld eggs. Plus there will be vodka and orange juice for the adults and coke for the children. I need to shop now for the veggies, eggs and otehr stuff. I love to cok for a party. Cooking is such an integral part of my life. I feel anchored in my home only if I cook. At the same time I am not the routine cooking types from which most women have no respite at all. I like to cook selectively. If I have to cook rice dal and curry on an everyday basis I will end up crazy. Hmm. I think by an large I lead a privileged life. But I hasten to add that I fought tooth and nail to earn these privileges. Nothing comes free in life.

This party reminds me of the film 'The Hours' where Meryl Streep plans and shops for her party. Quite a beautiful film.

I will also get a film. The day as it is stretching out looks pretty good.

No comments: